Move In / Move Out

Move In

Once your references are approved, we will prepare your Tenancy Agreement and specify what has to be paid in advance before you move into your new home.
This is usually the deposit and one months’ rent. These payments must be cleared into our account, before the arranged move in day, unless paying in cash on the day, otherwise the keys to the property will not be released, Accordingly, please be sure to transfer or pay the monies well in advance.


An inventory of contents will be prepared before occupancy. On the day, a copy of the inventory will be handed to you, which you will be required to sign.

It is important that you check the inventory and Schedule of Condition carefully, as this document together with your Tenancy Agreement will form the basis of any damages claims by your landlord at the end of the tenancy.

Please advise us of any discrepancies in writing within seven days of moving in so as to avoid any later disputes. Meter readings for all relevant services (electricity, gas and water) will be taken at check-in and noted on the Schedule of Condition (we strongly advise that you keep your own record at the moving in stage.)

Tenants Responsibilities

During the tenancy, the Tenant must follow certain rules and obligations which are usually specified in your Tenancy Agreement. Your Tenancy Agreement specifies your responsibilities and details how you are supposed to treat your rental accommodation. If you do not take steps to follow these rules, you will be breaching your tenancy agreement and could risk your Landlord to end your tenancy. If you are not sure of any contents within the Tenancy Agreement, please discuss this with a member of the NMC Staff.

What does Tenant-like Manner mean?

This is a most commonly used expression in the Tenancy Agreement. During the tenancy, you are obliged to act in a “Tenant-like Manner”. To explain this expression, this term was clarified in the court case in 1953 between Warren vs Keen as below:

“The tenant must take proper care of the place. He must, if he is going away for the winter, turn off the water and empty the boiler. He must clean the chimneys, when necessary, and also the windows. He must unstop the sink when it is blocked by his waste. In short, he must do the little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do. In addition, he must, of course, not damage the house, wilfully or negligently; and must see that his family and guests do not damage it: and if they do, he must repair it..”

It is the tenants responsibility to keep the interior of the property and its fixtures and fittings in the same working order and condition throughout the tenancy as they found it when they first moved in. The tenant is obliged to report to NMC Property or PPM Ltd any repairs or matters that fall under the landlords obligations. We suggest this is done in writing.

Moving-out procedure

Termination notice

Your termination notice has to be issued according to your Tenancy Agreement.

Please provide your written notice to NMC Property or PPM Limited

Should your termination notice reach us on a Saturday/Sunday, it will be accepted on the following Monday. Recorded or registered mail should be used if sent by post. NMC Property or PPM Ltd bear no responsibility for any delays in receiving a termination notice. Confirming receipt by telephone or email following service by post is highly recommended.

Once your termination has been processed, you will be required to provide us with;

•your availability for the Inventory check-out
•forwarding address
•name of utility suppliers

You are required to leave the property in the same condition as when you took occupation, except for fair wear and tear.

The inventory check-out will be conducted in accordance with Inventory check-in. Any questions should be raised to the inventory clerk whilst Inventory is in progress.

Based on the Inventory check-out report, we will seek to obtain any dilapidation claims.
For Assured Shorthold Tenancies, if an agreement as to the amount of deduction is not reached, the tenant will need to register the dispute with their deposit protection scheme who will appoint an Independent Case Examiner to mediate on the matter.